April 22, 2009

The English Language

If I was a gamblin' woman, I'd bet that no one reads this because of the sorry title I just used. Not my fault. Those people need to quit judging books by the cover, quit knocking it till they try it, and any other cliche you deem appropriate at this time. And cliches are always appropriate.

If you're still with me.... some time ago, I had an "AHA moment" as Oprah would call it. Time out: I hate Oprah. But that's neither here nor there. Time in. There is this particular phrase in the English language that I just can't seem to wrap my mind around. And everyone says it. Yes, even you. What is it? You may be asking yourself. Drumroll please..... ba duh ba duh ba duh....

"A whole nother".

Let me let that sink in....

A whole nother story. A whole nother reason. A whole nother (insert word of choice here).

In my professional opinion, which actually isn't legit for 2 more weeks, but whatever... there are two possibilities for this phenomenon. Either we mean "another whole" and we have broken apart "another" into "a (blank) nother" and stuck "whole" in between. Or, the more likely scenario, we actually mean "a whole other", but then where did that silly /n/ come from?

I know this is deep.

I do it. You do it. We all do it.

I'm okay with it. I hope you are too.

1 comment:

  1. I quite enjoyed this. In fact, I quite enjoy most of your random thoughts, but that's a whole nother story.

    ReplyDelete